Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Canadian Christmas - Part Due

And as promised here I am with part two of my Christmas wine review after three days of complete cleaning with total wine de-toxing and eating only vegetable soup.

So, Canadian wine....where to start? We had really some nice bottles and I think in Canada you can find some solid producer with good products. The most renowned area is the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, an area known for its sunny and dry climate and beautiful landscape.
Here is a quick list of what we've tried:

Burrowing Owl - Meritage 2008: these guys really know what to do and how to produce their wines. My experience with them is limited to red having only tried before this Meritage a Merlot that impressed me a lot. This Meritage is a blend of 5 different Bordeaux varieties (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot) and it is a lovely wine, really a great companion to food. Both of the wine I tried for them were impressive and I will not miss my occasion when in Canada to find some to take back with me in Europe.

Blasted Church : Ok, I have to admit: the first thing that hit me about these wines was their funky label. I think you can just have a look at the website to understand what I mean. And I must say, the wine we tried, Hattfield's Fuse 2010 (blend of 6 different varieties with higher percentage of Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc) was really nice. A very spicy and aromatic with lots of floral notes, citrus and spices. As you can understand a perfect pairing for spicy dishes such as curry or thai food in general. And at a very good quality/price relation. Thanks to Sandy of the Fernie Liquor Store for the suggestion!

Nk'Mip Winery : a fascinating story behind this producer considering it is the only winery in North America owned and operated by natives. Last year we had a Pinot Noir from them and during the holiday I had a chance to try a Chardonnay. Both of these were lovely and easy to drink wines. Definitely try a wine of this producer if you have a chance

Other three canadian wineries I will suggest to try in case you will have a chance are Lake Breeze, Laughing Stock and Mission Hill. There is plenty more to try and I am sure I would visit the Okanagan Valley one day for more tasting and to enjoy its beautiful scenery.







1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the shout-out P!!!!
    Your thank you card reminded me that I had not checked your blog since early Dec......
    We've tentatively booked the curling club for next New Years Eve, to make a bit bigger party of it. Will keep you posted!
    Thanks for all the lovely wine info.
    Cheers,
    s.k. / b.p.

    ReplyDelete