Monday, August 1, 2011

A lovely mix of flavours


Being a good Italian, I am not a big fan of mixing too many flavours especially when the combination seems odd to a traditionalist like me. But when my lovely wife proposed that we barbecue rib-eye steaks rubbed with coffee and cocoa I thought.....risky, but why not, let's give it a chance.

And oh my gosh, the result was amazing! The flavour was intense but the rub did not kill the flavour of the meat and the combination of flavours was an absolute winner. Smoky, crunchy, juicy and with this subtle flavour of cocoa and coffee on the back of your palate, is an absolute success.

It was difficult to find a wine able to keep up with these lovely and very strong flavours. From the cellar I decided to pick up something from the South of France, a Cotes du Luberon 2004 from Chateau La Verrerie . A 50% Syrah and 50% Grenache, we bought the bottle directly at the estate, a beautiful property that is absolutely worth a visit if you are in the area. The wine is quite strong and very rich with a powerful palate and it will do his honest job paired with these beautiful steaks. Yummy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment